Shanks Wakefield ePermits System

What type of permit do I need?

What type of permit do I need?

Type Of Vehicle / Trailer
Vehicle Example
Household Permit
Commercial Vehicle Permit

Car (family car, estate car, MPV)

People carrier/ 4x4 with windows and seats in the back (no more than 7 Seats)

Car with a trailer smaller than 6ft x 4ft

Small vans

Camper vans, Mini buses or any vehicle with more than 7 seats

SUV - open or closed back

Pick up - flatbed

Transit type van or hired van with or without seats

Vehicles over 3000gvw are not permitted

Livestock carrying vehicle/agricultural vehicle

Trailer greater than 6ft x 4ft (no larger than 8ft x 6ft)

LWB and vehicles weighing above 3000kg




Pedestrian access

Box/modified trailer

Mobility modified vehicle

Customers with mobility modified vehicles should apply for a residential permit. Please note that the volume of waste being disposed of will be monitored as with all other vehicles.

Long wheel base (LWB) vehicle information

When taking the decision to refuse entry for LWB vehicles, it was recognised that the vast majority of vehicles of this type are used for the sole purpose of trade activities and in one visit to a Household Waste Recycling Centre they can bring more waste than the average household generates in a year.

LWB vehicles have a larger distance between the front and rear wheels, these are designed for improved stability and lower centre of gravity allowing a larger interior.

Trailer Requirements

Please note any van bringing a trailer of any size must obtain commercial vehicle permits

Only cars, vans or 4 x 4's may bring in a trailer.

Typical Specifications

Short wheel base (SWB)

Load space ­ length: 2.4m width: 1.7m height: 1.4m payload: 900­1200kg

Long wheel base (LWB)

Load space ­ length: 3.4m width: 1.7m height: 1.7m payload: 1200­1500kg