Shanks Wakefield ePermits System
Avoid queues! You may be able to recycle your waste closer to home – please check out where your local Bring Site is located READ MORE

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How many residential permits am I allowed per household?

    Two permits are allowed per household.

    What type of vehicles need to obtain a residential permit?

    Car, estate car, people carrier, 4x4, motor bike, push bike, taxi, or a trailer smaller than 1.8m x 1.2m.

    Which type of vehicles are not allowed to use the Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) with a residential permit?

    Commercial type vehicles are not allowed to use the HWRCs with a residential permit. Commercial Type Vehicles' are defined as: normal use being for commercial purposes and/or with no rear seat belts and/or no rear windows and/or have an open back and/or tail lift, or a back which is separate to the main cab area (e.g. closed cab pick-ups).

    Residents using a commercial or commercial type vehicle to dispose of household waste e.g. any vehicle that appears to be used for trade/business or commercial purpose such as a van, pick up, flat bed, land rover or box luton vans will need to apply for a Commercial Vehicle Permit.

    What type of permit do I need if I own a commercial type vehicle?

    If you own a van, pick up or a Trailer greater than 6ft x 4ft (no larger than 8ft x 6ft) and intend to use it to deposite household waste at any HWRC you will need to obtain a Commercial Vehicle Permit beforehand. Vans with a trailer of any size must obtain a commercial vehicle permit.

    How do I obtain a Commercial Vehicle Permit?

    You can apply for commercial vehicle permits online here. You are required to either upload a scan / photocopy or to take the following documents to the Wakefield HWRC:

    • Vehicle registration details (V5 Registration) and proof of residency of the district (e.g a recent utility, council tax bill or driving licence).

    Can I dispose of my household waste in the same way as a resident with a car if I have a Commercial Vehicle Permit?

    No, this allows you to use your commercial vehicle on up to twelve visits per year free of charge. Upon visiting a HWRC one of your permits will be electronically deducted. You will be issued with ten electronic household waste permits and two electronic brick and rubble permits - please see the section on brick and rubble restrictions.

    Which type of vehicles are prohibited from using the HWRCs with either a residential or a Commercial Vehicle Permit?

    Examples include long wheel based vans, box vans (e.g. Luton), agricultural tractors, twin axle vehicles, vans with a single axle trailer, pick-ups with a single axle trailer, any vehicle with a double axle trailer, any vehicle with trailer's bed load larger than 3m or modified in any way, horsebox or any other vehicle used to transport horses or farm animals, vans weighing more than 3000kg.

    I've hired a van for the weekend to remove my household waste, do I need a permit?

    If you have hired a van for a period of two days or less to dispose of your own waste you do not require a permit. You will need to bring the van hire agreement and proof of Wakefield district residency with you and present them to the staff on arrival at the HWRC. Vehicles over 3000 gvw are not permitted.

    Can I use the HWRCs if I do not have a vehicle?

    Residents living in the Wakefield district who do not have, or do not wish to use, a private vehicle to transport their household waste can be issued with a residential permit. Please contact the contact centre on 0345 8 506 506 to book a visit to one of the HWRCs. As the amount of cars and skip vehicles coming in and out of our sites can be potentially hazardous to both residents and staff you may need to be escorted on site for your own safety. On arrival please report to reception or meet and greet employee and await further assistance.

    Are there any more FAQs?

    You can view other FAQs on our main website.

  • Is asbestos harmful?

    Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that, historically, has been used in a range of building materials. It has also been used in household products such as ironing boards and oven gloves. Many people have worries about asbestos, but undisturbed asbestos usually poses no problems.

    How should my asbestos be packaged?

    To dispose of Asbestos at our Denby Dale Rd or Glasshoughton Household Waste Recycling Centre it must be double wrapped in heavy duty plastic which has been taped and sealed. As you will need to place all material in the container provided you will need to wrap it in amounts and sizes that you can carry comfortably.

    Do you accept asbestos disposal from builders or trade customers?

    We do not accept asbestos from builders or trade customers. You may not be permitted to dispose of your waste if staff suspect that it is trade waste.