Shanks Wakefield ePermits System
Avoid queues! You may be able to recycle your waste closer to home – please check out where your local Bring Site is located READ MORE

How Can We Help?


Wakefield's Household Waste Recycling Centres are provided for Wakefield residents to recycle and dispose of their household waste. This website will help you to understand what type of permit you need and how you can apply for it. We allow two types of permit at our Household Waste Recycling Centres, a residential permit and a Commercial Vehicle Permit. The type of permit you need, will depend on the type of vehicle you will be using when you visit the site to dispose of your household waste.

Register for Permits Which permit do I need?

Asbestos Booking

Wakefield residents can dispose of household white cement resin bonded asbestos free of charge at our Wakefield and Glasshoughton Household Waste Recycling Centres. You can use our easy online form to book an appointment by following the links below. Appointments must be made a minimum of 24 hours prior to disposal.

Book Asbestos Disposal

Frequently Asked Questions

How many residential permits am I allowed per property?

Two permits are allowed per household.

What type of vehicles can I use with a residential permit?

Car, Estate Car, People Carrier, 4x4, Motor Bike, Push Bike, Taxi or a trailer smaller than 1.8m x 1.2m

What type of vehicles are not allowed into any Wakefield HWRC using a residential permit?

Commercial type vehicles are defined as a vehicle with one or more of the following features; no rear windows, no rear side windows, no rear seats, an open back or a back which is separate from the main cab. Residents using a Commercial or Commercial like vehicle to deliver household waste e.g. any vehicle that appears to be used for trade/business or commercial purpose such as a van, pick up, flat bed, land rover or box (Luton Vans).

What type of permits do I need if I own a Commercial like vehicle?

If you own a van, pick up or a trailer larger than 1.8m x 1.2m you need to obtain a Commercial Vehicle Permit before you are able to dispose Household waste at any of the Wakefield HWRC.

How do I obtain a Commercial Vehicle Permit?

You can apply for commercial vehicle permits online here. You are required to either upload a scan / photocopy or to take the following documents to the Denby Dale Road HWRC: Vehicle registration details (V5 Registration) and proof of residency of the district (E.g a recent utility, council tax bill or driving licence).

Does this allow me to dispose my Household Waste the same as a resident with a car etc?

No, this allows you to use your Commercial like vehicle (van or pickup etc) on up to 12 visits per year free of charge, each visit you will be asked to surrender one of your 12 permits. You will be issued with 10 household waste permits and two brick and rubble permits (Please see the section on Brick and Rubble restrictions).

What type of vehicles are not allowed to use any HWRC with either a resident or a commercial vehicle permit?

Long wheel based vans, Box vans (Luton), Agricultural tractors, Twin axle vehicles, Vans with a single axle trailer, pick-ups with a single axle trailer, any vehicle with a double axle trailer, horsebox or any other vehicle used to transport horses or farm animals, vans weighing more than 3000kg.

I've hired a van for the weekend to remove my household waste, do I need a permit?

Householders who have hired a van for a period of two days or less to dispose of their own waste do not require a permit, householders should bring the van hire agreement and proof of residency of Wakefield with them and present it to the staff on arrival.

Can I use the HWRC in Wakefield if I do not have a vehicle?

Residents living in the Wakefield District who do not have or do not wish to use, a private vehicle to transport their household waste can be issued a Resident's Permit. Please ring the Council's Contact Centre to book a visit to one of the Wakefield HWRCs. The sites are designed for vehicular delivery of materials that residents cannot recycle or dispose of through their existing kerbside collection due to size/material type. At busy times, the amount of cars and skip vehicles coming in and out of the site can be potentially hazardous to both residents and staff. On arrival please report to the reception or meet and greet employee allowing a safe experience while using the facility.